Thursday, February 19, 2009

How's it going?





Well...I'm slacking again on keeping my blog updated. We seem to get progressively busier as the year goes on. I had a herceptin treatment here locally this week. I was pleasantly surprised at the wonderful care I was given. Big shout out to the Outpatient Chemotherapy dept. at Cox. They were top notch. Why wasn't I offered that as an option last year? It was very clean, which was a wonderful thing.

Yesterday, Isaac was battling a stomach bug. He finally won the battle this morning around 2am when he woke me up and announced he was "Verwy verwy thursty." Ice chips only, buddy...momma's not into middle of the night surprises! Before I got to the kitchen this morning at 6:30, Owen had already fixed Isaac a bowl of Life, and he was munching like there was no tomorrow. Will it stay down...time will tell!

Last night was our tax appointment. Ordinarily, I do our taxes at home. However, with all our medical and travel expenses this year, I opted to pass the baton to a professional. Found out what I can and cannot deduct. Evidently you can't deduct meals/food while traveling for medical care. Hmmmmm....didn't know that. Thinking about getting a 2nd opinion on that one. Anyway...glad that Jeff took everything in and let me stay home with Isaac. I wasn't looking too super by 5pm last night. Come to think of it...I'm still not!

Owen has his last ball game this Friday night. Those little guys are un-undefeated! They haven't won one yet...so hopefully this one will be THE ONE! They don't lack for enthusiasm, though. Oh, to have the energy of a 9 year old boy!

Jeff is super busy at work. He didn't get home before 7 or 8 any night last week, and probably won't the rest of this week either. I am always reminded of a comment made by a sweet lady at Fellowship Bible Church. As she listened quietly to a room full of young mother's complain about how their husbands can't put the dishes in the dishwasher, or their clothes in the hamper, or how they always work soooo late, she just smiled. When everyone had vented their frustrations, she spoke up.

"For years, after my husband left me and my children, I got up every morning before dawn, made breakfast, rushed children off to school, worked all day, and came home just in time to feed the kids and put them back in bed. Now that I've remarried, I thank the Lord every morning that my husband is willing to leave the house to go to work to provide for us. I get to sleep in until 6, I know my bills will be paid, and I am glad to be able to cook and clean for him. I don't care where he puts his dishes...he takes care of me, and that is such a relief! You should always remember what a blessing it is to have a husband that works to provide for your family. Many aren't so blessed." The attitude of the class was never the same. And...I am very thankful for Jeff working for our family. He's able to do that and remain pleasant...WOW! Am I loved or what?!

I hope you are having a good week. And I hope you are able to find a blessing amidst all the chaos that's going on in your life today.

"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good. His love endures forever!"

Blessings,

Leslie

2 comments:

The Glenn Family said...

I know of a coach that is hoping for a win tomorrow night! HAHA!

Erica

Corine Kimball said...

Hi Leslie, I came across your post while researching medical travel deductions for my grandma and myself.

I just wanted to provide you with a link I came across while searching. I'm not sure if you were able to get a second opinion in time, however if you did not deduct your medical travel expenses, you can file an amended return and hopefully get more of a refund :)

The link is:

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:uOq66kPN_DEJ:baldwintax.typepad.com/files/medical-deductions-1.ppt+%22deduct+meals+at+hospital%22&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

(It's the HTML verison of the page so it loads faster w/out the fluff)

It provides great detail on what you can deduct all around for med expenses including travel. It also includes examples including scenarios on people travling to provide medical care for a child with cancer, costs of getting in home help for a family member w/cancer, and even costs for educational expenses for children w/learning disabilities.

Hope this can help you both retroactively and in the future. I known from personal experience how quickly everything can add up when it comes to receiving medical care :)

Best wishes to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Corine Kimball
CorineAliceKimball (a) gmail.com