Wednesday, March 23, 2011

In the Still of the Night

Since my diagnosis in September of 2007, I dread nighttime. Not so much when all is well, but especially when I have a new diagnosis or a new treatment. When night falls, and everyone else is snug in their beds, you will often find me puttering around the house or watching TV. I just stay up until I am drop dead tired, jittery with fatigue, because i know I can go to sleep quickly.

When I stayed in Houston with my cousin, Jenny, some of our best visits were after 10pm. I probably drove her nuts, but she didn't complain. She'd fix me a cup of hot tea, and we'd discuss medical issues (she's a doctor), scripture, kiddos. It was one of my favorite times.

Now, though, it is habit to stay up way too late. I mean, I shut down the neighborhood. Not a creature stirring when my light goes out.

Quiet night time promotes vast amounts of activity in my brain. Worry and fear decide to have a footrace through my thoughts. Pictures of the day's events roll through my mind like index cards in a Rolodex.

So,when this began last night, in the quiet of my hospital room (Jeff went to our room to sleep) I decided to fight the rolodex and the footrace. I pulled out my handy dandy iPad, (thank you D & M, and J & J) on the songs I had downloaded, and let the Martin's, Phillips, Craig, and Dean, Laura Story, Third Day, Steven Curtis Chapman, the Sidewalk Prophets, Chris Rice, and the Gaither Vocal Band sing my tired self to sleep. Worry and fear stopped their racing. Pictures of the day slowly stopped rolling. Scripture in song filled the room. And when I shut off the music I felt like
I wasn't alone. And I rested.

Hope you are having a great week. Looks like there's pretty weather at home.

Blessings,

Leslie

2 comments:

Brandy said...

This has been such a long road for you. I just wanted to pipe up and say that you have been an example to me every step of the way. You are a blessing to everyone who knows you and you have shown us all what it looks like to live by faith and put your trust in God...for real. May God bless you this night and every one here after!

CDJ said...

Leslie, thank you so much for remaining so transparent as you journey. Your honesty and openness is a selfless gift to those of us who love you deeply.

Your sweet life points us toward the Maker and Sustainer...and we come away strengthened and encouraged.

I pray that the One who never sleeps might bring you bountiful slumber as you rest in Him. love love love you!