Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Think and think and think...


Well, I finally made it back to the computer! What a crazy past few weeks we've had. My last round of chemo really knocked me for a loop. They gave me a new (to me) drug to strengthen my bones, then a flu shot, and the next day a shot of Neulasta (white cell booster), all three of which have the side effect of achiness! I was hurtin' for certain! I couldn't even sit up without help. It was a mess. That lasted about a week, then I started chilling, only to be admitted to the hospital Wednesday night (a week ago) with low white cells, low hemoglobin, and a fever. Lovely! After antibiotics and lots of fluids, I was sent home on Saturday, and I have felt much better since. So now at least you know what I've been up to. My dr. decided to postpone my chemo for this week (it was supposed to be Monday). He said he thought my body could use a break. I'd have to agree. We'll start up again when I return from Houston.


I am scheduled to be back in Houston the week of the 26th. I have appointments with a neurosurgeon (for the spot on my spine) and a bone marrow transplant team, just to see if I'd be a candidate for that program. This trip we are taking all the boys, and fortunately my parents are coming along to help. We are all looking forward to the trip, for various reasons. My parents will get to visit with Aunt Teresa (mom's sister) and Uncle Howard. The boys just want to see some fancy sports cars on the highways in TX...Jeff told them he saw a something-or-other (I can't spell whatever it was), and now Levi, especially, is just jumping with excitement...and those of you who know him know that that's a literal statement! The boys will love playing with their cousins that they've only seen in pictures. Once they get together, there will be 5 little boys under the age of 9...all in Texans football uniforms! Doesn't that sound like a party!?


Let's see...what else. Oh, since my last entry, I have discovered that I look hilarious in bucket hats. Remember that Andy Griffith episode where Gomer Pyle tries to join the Marines, and he ticks off the Sergeant, who makes him sit on his cot with a bucket on his head "to think"? Well, that's all I could think of when I saw my reflection wearing a bucket hat. "Boy, Andy...this really works. You can just think and think and think! Here...try it on and have yourself a think!" I looked just like Gomer! No joke! I'm sticking with bandannas!


I guess that's all the news I have for now. My last entry was so lengthy, I think I'll cut this one a bit short (relatively speaking).


Quickly, congrats to my niece Jamie and her husband Nick, who are celebrating the birth of their first child, a boy! He is incredibly handsome, a well known family trait! What a precious little Thanksgiving package!


I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving. Aren't we all so tremendously blessed? God is good.


Thanks for everything. I appreciate all your prayers. I'll write more when I get a chance.


Love,

Leslie

6 comments:

Mike & Kelley said...

Leslie,

I scan the blogsite nearly every day to check on your status. I, and others, want so much to uplift you and your family. Yet when I read your comments, I end up being the one uplifted. Happy Thanksgiving!

M. Morton

Anonymous said...

Leslie, You've been on our church's prayer list since we first heard about your cancer...we are praying people, so please know that you're convered in prayer. Blogging is very cathartic....keep it up!
Cancer doesn't play by the rules, but you'll be a winner no mater what the outcome...cause God is in control of every game...
Keep looking up and living strong!
Sue McFarland
FBC of Edgar Springs, MO.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
As I sit here after Thanksgiving thinking about all that I am thankful for, I reflect on what is going on in you and your families lives right now. God is in charge and in control of everything that is going on. We are thankful for so much but take so much for granted. I pray for you each and every day and for your husband and boys. I hope that I can see you all very soon. I miss you and your brothers and sisters. I need your mom to hug on me.

Love you
Annette

Cindy Henderson said...

Leslie,
This Thanksgiving I find myself especially thankful for good, Christian friends that love the Lord and demonstrate that love through their lives. You continue to touch us with your courage, grit and positive attitude. I'm thankful to call you my friend. Be safe in TX and enjoy that warm weather. We are praying for a good report from your doctors.

With much love,
Cindy and the family

Kolby said...

Keep fighting Leslie. I know that you have a very strong and supporting family around you. Draw on their strength and stay strong in faith. Kolby

Anonymous said...

We miss you. We are praying for you and yours.