Monday, April 7, 2008

Mercy Dropped By

A while back, I mentioned how ironic I thought it was that I had been assigned two nurses whose names were "Mercy" and "Grace". I really thought that was a neat, one time thing. Do you know, since then, Mercy has been my nurse on several occasions. The assistant will walk me back to my room, and say, "Mercy will be taking care of you today. She'll be right with you."

Then two weeks ago, the assistant said, "Lillian will be taking care of you today. She'll be here in a minute." Lillian? Who's this Lillian? 'Turns out she's an excellent nurse...but there's no irony in the name Lillian. After hooking me up to my IV's, Lillian said, "I'll be right back. I just have to get one more thing," and she left the room.

As I lay there reading my latest "Miss Julia" book, the door slid open, and who should peek in but Mercy! "Hello there Ms. Davis! I just wanted to drop by and say hi...I noticed I didn't have you on my list today. Good to see you again." Can you see the enormous grin that spread across my face. I think God really enjoys sending his "Mercy" my way (she is a Christian, by the way).

Fast forward to last Friday (the 4th of April). Again, I was assigned Lillian. She is really very good, but I was watching with great anticipation for...you guessed it...Mercy! An hour or so went by, and there was a shift change. Lillian left, and Rebecca came in. Another great nurse...but where's Mercy?

Then, when all was quiet, the curtain slid open, and sure enough...there was Mercy. "Well, Ms. Davis, I was told to check on my patient in room 26...but you're not my patient! When I saw your name, though, I had to drop in and say hi. You doing okay? Good...see you soon. My patient is actually in 25...somebody got their numbers mixed up."

Umhmmmm...she thinks they did...but God is just being extra kind and sending mercy my way, even when it's en route to someone else! How fantastic is that?

Here's hoping you can begin anticipating God's mercy in your life. It's there...we just need to be watching for it!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

through this all still reaching out to others to look for god.You will never know what a blessing you are to so many people, glad to hear he sent mercy and tests are so great.good luck on maintaining weight,and you know you all have all our thoughts and prayers. melissa smith{fielden} dalton and grace.