Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ready the Proton Radiator!


What? I'm sorry, say that again?
I know...sounds like Marvin the Martian on Bugs Bunny! I have been approved for the MD Anderson Proton Radiation Program! Having trouble containing your excitement? I know...sounds like a real summer treat, doesn't it?! Well, it is for me!


I just received word today from my radiation oncologist that she got approval from my insurance company for me to receive "Proton Radiation" of my spine. She had asked last week if she could pursue that option, and I told her to go for it.
Evidently (and I hesitate to explain these medical treatments since several of you reading this know WAY more about it than I do) "proton" radiation radiates only the area needing radiation, and doesn't "exit" the area, therefore radiating otherwise healthy tissue. In other words, they will be able to radiate the small area of my spine that used to have cancer in it without potentially damaging my spinal cord or the other side of my body!
Furthermore, it is rare that they allow this for a breast cancer patient with metastatic cancer, because since the cancer has already spread, why worry about damaging tissue with radiation? My radiation oncologist argued, however, that I was not your TYPICAL breast cancer patient, and that based on my pathology reports post-surgery, my cancer has responded extremely well to the treatment I have been receiving, and they are going for a "curative response" (excuse me...did I hear the word "cure" in there?).
Well, the insurance company responded by saying they appreciated my radiation oncologists' explanation of the situation, and they would fax an approval letter within the hour (that was at 1:30 today).


So...how about that? Still not getting goose bumps? (Probably because you're not under the proton radiator! Just kidding!) Well, my doctor explained that the radiation I am and will still receive for the primary tumor is excellent...the best in the country...the "Lexus" of radiation therapy. The proton radiation, however, is the "Lamborghini" of radiation treatment, and as she put it, "Why settle for the Lexus when you could have the Lamborghini?"


So...19 more "regular" radiation treatments left, and 20 (I think) proton radiations to go! Simultaneously! Let the party begin!


Am I glowing?.....I feel radiant......

5 comments:

kim said...

Hey Leslie,

This is great news! Isn't God amazing at how He just works things out for us when we allow him. I am so proud of you and how you are taking on this life situation! You truly are a blessing in my life and an example of how we all should live our lives.

Love and miss you!
Kim

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you!! We can feel your excitement. We are very excited for you as well. Isn't it amazing how God heals in many different ways?! We praise His name for the healing that we have seen thus far this year and look forward to the "all clear" from you and your doctors. We love you all and miss your family. We are always praying for you!

Love ya,
the Newdigers

Jamie said...

God is so good!

Rebecca said...

Hi Leslie,

I have enjoyed catching up with what has been going on in your life.

Your boys are so handsome. I love all the pictures.

I love your positive attitude and sense of humor. You are awesome.

Love, Rebecca

melissa smith said...

hi, leslie so happy you're getting the lambroghini, you deserve the best! looks like another pretty baby,please pass on congrats! glad all is going so well, continued love and blessings to you all. note new email. love melissa, dalton and grace.oh dalton turns 15 how weird is that