Saturday, October 20, 2007

Anybody seen my hair?????



Well, as predicted, my hair is falling out! No clumps, yet, just oodles and gobs of individual strands! And they just go everywhere! A couple of days ago I was playing football in the yard with the boys, and it was so windy that my hair was just flying away in the wind.
I told Owen, "You've heard of people's hair getting blown right off their heads, haven't you? Well, we may just get to see that today."
It has been so gusty around her for days...the kind of wind that blows your hair just all over the place, and for me that is a literal statement. On the upside, the neighbors shouldn't have to mulch this fall!!! :o)

Owen advised me, "Mom, you should start wearin' one of those little hospital hats or somethin' before we start eatin' that stuff!" Thank you, Owen! I'll get right on that!

Anyhoo...my mom cut my hair last night, and it looks much better. But the shedding goes on and on and on. It's like trying to rinse the clippings out of your hair after a haircut, but there is no end to the clippings. WEIRD!

I'm prepared, though. I've cut the boys hair for years, and I have clippers with different lenghth guards, so when I get tired enough of sweeping it off the floor, it's outta here. I have scarves and hats and enough ballcaps to outfit a team, so I'm good to go.

I tried on a scarf yesterday, and said, "Look boys. This is what I'll look like when my hair is all gone."

Surprisingly, I heard, "Cool mom! You look like a...", to which I interrupted with thoughts of Halloween and interjected, "A pirate?"

"No, " said Owen, "You look like a really cool gardner!"

Well, that's more suitable anyway! I've always wanted to be a cool gardner!

Oh, I almost forgot. I had another treatment yesterday! Thank you, thank you for your prayers. I needed a platelet count of at least 100, and it was well above that, and I had to have a white count of 1.5 (granulacites only), and they were over 15 I think, and get this... My overall white blood cell count, which was down to 1.7 or so was so high the nurses were laughing. Before I began treatment, my count was 5.6 (4 is normal) and yesterday my count was 26! Can you believe that? My nurse said, "Good ole Neupogen shots!" And I added, "And a lot of prayer!" I do believe I have the "prayin' est" friends a person ever had! Thank you, thank you, and praise the Lord!

I have to go grab a bite of lunch. We have to go back into the hospital for another shot. This one is Neulasta, which also boosts my white cell count, but unlike the Neupogen shots, which had to be given daily, Neulasta is time released and will last for something like 7-10 days. That suits me fine. I've been stuck enough for one month!

We love you all! Thanks for all the prayers. I just love to hear health professionals laugh in disbelief!

Leslie, Jeff, and the boys

13 comments:

Leslie said...

Well, all I can say is that you may be losing your hair but that is ONE great looking guy you caught!

Hang in there bud! Ha! (Inside joke).

Seriously, I am so proud of you for your strength and humor and everything that you are! You are wonderful. How could you not have had any man you wanted. I am glad you chose me 15 years ago!

I Love you!
Jeff

Jamie said...

Leslie,

You are so fabulous! I really appreciate your taking the time to keep everybody updated on what's going on with you.

I check your blog frequently.

I think I'm becoming obsessed.

I may need help. :)

I love you bunches,
Jamie

Jill said...

Leslie, How far we have come...I never imagined you using words like "granulacites!" Did you learn that on Dora? I'm still praying and checking the blog like I'm your #1 fan! Jill

kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kim said...

Leslie,
Thanks for keeping us updated. As usual the stories are fabulous. And, if I can add my own humor I can't wait for the fashion show of head gear soon through pictures :) A little non humor... you are going to look great with or without hair b/c you have an amazing spirit that radiates beauty! We are cheering you on and continuing to pray daily.
Love, Kim

Nan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nan said...

Don't leave em laughing without letting them know why the miracles are happening! God sure is an awesome God and our prayers will go on and on and on and on.............
AND! You will without a doubt look like a cool gardener or just a cute Leslie (as always) when you wear the scarves. Can't wait for the pictures!
From another fan and addicted reader...Love ya, Nan

Cindy Henderson said...

Leslie,

I am proud to be your friend and quite honestly not shocked one bit by your strength and determination. Hey, if you can survive working at you know where, then you can make it through anything. Thanks for sharing your story.

You're in our prayers daily.

We love you bunches,
Cindy
Long time reader, first time writer.

anitazim said...

You are more beautiful to me now than ever before - inside and out!! I love you! Anita

Bob and Diane said...

Leslie,
Love the blog spot. Thank you for sharing with us. We had a wonderful time of praise and fellowship last night in your name. God is certainly working!

Adam wanted to send you his "hippie" wig for Halloween. I told him maybe not. Hair, who needs it! A lot less hairspray this way.

Love you more than you know!
(love the photos also)

Diane

Carrie said...

Leslie,
I love the way you put things (wigs = tangled fishin' line!) I am so thankful that you are keeping your spirits as high as possible while getting this news.

We are praying for the entire family here in Indiana. My bible study girlfriends are checking the site daily and asking about you every time we see one another.

Love and continued prayers,
Carrie & family
PS ... I sent you a card awhile back, but I believe I sent it to the Republic address ... can you say, "BRAIN FART!?!?!"

Connie H said...

Leslie,

Hello, remember me, Connie Hudgens from Rolla and all those baby showers, mine, yours, Diane's, etc... I called around and got this site, so I can check up on you. I love the photos (that's my thing too!), I guess you are in Texas now, so will be glad to here the updates. We are praying here for you and your fellas... it's hard on everyone... Take care... we love you all too! Connie H.

Renee Waters said...

Leslie,

I absolutely love reading your blog! My Small Group friends are all keeping up with you through it as well. They all comment not only on your spirit and strength, but your amazing humor! It really comes through in your writing. I think you should think about writing a book about all this. I'll buy it! :) Thanks for keeping us updated through this.

We are praying for you daily! Hopefully we'll get to see you next time we're home. I'll buy E's Inn for us!

love ya, Leslie!
-Renee